Saturday, 21 February 2015

REVIEW| REDKEN DIAMOND OIL SHATTERPROOF SHINE INTENSE




Earlier this week I wrote about a facial oil that I really loved. Today I'm reviewing the Redken Diamond Oil Shatterproof Shine Intense, which I am sorry to say I was really disappointed with. For a product renowned for its performance I really expected a lot more.

The aesthetics of the product are great - the diamond shape of the bottle to reflect the brand range is stunning. The bottle fits perfectly in my hand and it is easy to control the amount of product that comes out of the pipette. The formula is a silicone free hybrid oil containing 99% pure oils including olive, jojoba, coconut, apricot and coriander all designed to strengthen, smooth and soften hair. So it's got all the components to be a great product. But then I checked the ingredients list and found out that it contains isopropyl myristate to promote absorption in the hair. However, an overuse of the ingredient dries out skin which I would also assume may be transferred to hair products.

I use the leave-in oil on the ends of towel dried hair and work my way up to about half way up my hair follicle. On application to the hair the oil feels light and despite being intended for coarse/ dry hair there is a serious lack of absorption in the hair follicle. Applying too much leaves hair feeling heavy and oily in comparison to products like Moroccanoil which is much better at being absorbed. Here are the broken down the claims and the results:

Strengthens hair - Redken Diamond Oil claims to strengthen hair up to 3X and prevent breakage. My hair frequently breaks when brushing and using this product has not reduced the amount of breakage.

Smooths & softens hair - I can assume that due to the inclusion of isopropyl myristate and as I use this product every time I wash my hair (so two or three times a week) it actually may be increasing the courseness of my hair. This may then also be encouraging me to use more of the product which then puts me in a catch 22 situation. You don't want to use the product, but you don't know what else will solve the problem (probably another hair oil, duh!).

Improves shine - I did to an extent see my hair more shiny however, not enough for me to say that this claim has been substantiated in reality.

Therefore, considering Redken Diamond Oil is £27.20 for 100ml and Moroccanoil is £31.85 for the same volume, the extra few pounds is worth a product that fulfils its legacy.

Andrea x

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for the informative post! Too bad it didn't live up to its name,

    http://kelliemiyoko.blogspot.com

    x Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my blog! Having a visit on yours now :) I am so happy I am not the only person who was underwhelmed by the Diamond Oil line by Redken! I use their Extreme line now, and was super excited when the Diamond Oil was launched. Luckily, they had sample sizes available for purchase, so I didn't lose a ton of money. I got the whole line, and definitely will not purchase full size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to try it! Thanks for sharing Andrea!
    ♥♥♥
    Jeanne
    http://www.fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the name--Diamond Oil--makes me want to by it! Wouldn't it be great if it made our hair sparkle. I'm glad you reviewed it because otherwise I may have been tempted:)

    xo Bry
    BrightonHillNaughtyandNice

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seems like a great product! I must try it out!
    http://fashion-soup.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great detail review. Love the product. http://sophialastyles.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Redken is the BEST!

    http://shareasecretmag.com/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very attractive styling of the packaging, bet the contents are good!

    Rosa
    Styleyourselfinstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this! Very great review. Redken is a great brand.

    xx naomi @ Naomi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there I loved reading through you posts, I have nominated you for the Liebster Award, please see the link below :) x
    http://blondebexx.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/liebster-award_28.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's so kind!

      Delete
  11. I don't know this product, but reading your post looks like a very good product. Have a nice day, kisses (and thank you for your visit),
    Eni

    Eniwhere Fashion
    Eniwhere Fashion Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your product reviews. This seems like a great one. Has a great packaging.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post!

    http://www.thefashionprincess.it/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds SO lovely! I have the normal Diamond Oil, and I love it xx

    Gemma | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a fan of moroccan oil as well.
    I'm a blogger too and would love if you visited and joined! xX- KellysVida: a Lifestyle Blog

    Blog | YouTube

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Redken products - this looks like a great one!

    xoxo

    Kaley

    My Closet Life Blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad I read this was eyeing this up but I wont bother now! I'll stick to my Moroccan oil x

    Laura | Tease Flutter Pout

    ReplyDelete